Akhtamar (in Armenian Աղթամար) is an island in eastern Turkey (formerly, western Armenia), on the east coast of Lake Van.
On this island was located one of the ancient capitals of Vaspourakan. It was the Armenian Catholicosate of Akhtamar, Catholicosate of the independent Armenian Apostolic Church between 1113 and the end of the 19th century, of which only the Holy Cross Church, recently restored and converted into a museum, remains. The other churches which were all around the lake, more than 150, were from 1920 destroyed or assigned to other uses.
Format: 40cm x 60cm